Report No. PA-02
Committee Minutes, Thursday, October 2nd 2008
Chairman Jason Lindsay submitted the following report to the Student Senate on Thursday, October 2nd 2008, on behalf of the Public Affairs Committee, and pursuant to its Thursday, October 2nd 2008 recommendations:
There were seven (7) members (Adonis, Harrelson, Herting, Lamm, Lindsay, Prior, Varner) present.
There were two (2) members (Roscoe, Sherwood) absent.
A quorum was present.
2. Legislative agenda - federal and state
3. Raleigh City Council
4. Speakers for Student Senate meetings
5. Collaboration with UNC Student Government on legislative priorities.
a. discussed developments from the September ASG meeting in Greensboro.
b. for October meeting in Boone, Ethan Harrelson, Thomas Lamm and Jason Lindsay will attend
2. Legislative priorities:
a. Mandatory time period for use of textbooks: discussed a possible bill for requiring professors to use "new" textbooks for a specified period of time before able to require a new edition.
b. Lobbying for increased federal financial aid: grants, lower student loan interest rates, full utilization of federal work study program - opening positions to all students. Streamlining FAFSA application.
3. Public service projects:
a. Bloodmobile at Campout
b. Carolina Troop Supporters
c. Purple Elephant Computers for Kids
d. Better World Books
4. Committee Social Events Planning:
a. Carolina Hurricanes vs. Maple Leafs- Nov. 2 5pm
b. Western Lanes Bowling - Thursday- Nov. 6th 8pm
5. Public Relations Liason - Travis Varner
6. Voter Education - Elections 101: Ask Students for McCain and Students for Obama speak on candidate platforms at public event.
7. Everyday Lecture Series - Speaker events on everyday issues, personal finance, the economy, study skills, time management, etc.